Regain Wasted Time By Concentrating Your Energy In The Right Place
“If only I <insert lame excuse here>, I would be <insert ambitious goal here>.” — Every single one of us
You’ve been there too, haven’t you?
Like most people, I made shitty excuses for my shortcomings.
I probably still do.
Part of my reason for doing a self-development week is to get rid of these lame excuses once-and-for-all!
Below is a list of 53 of these excuses, borrowed from Think And Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill.
Highlight those that apply to you. If you so dare, share your story in the comments below. I will do it for myself below the list to inspire you.
- I had time
- I had money
- I had enough “pull”
- I had a good education
- I had good health
- I had been given a chance
- I had been born rich
- I had embraced past opportunities
- I had the talent that some people have
- I had somebody to help me
- I had the personality of some people
- I had not failed
- I had not been born under the wrong star
- I had not lost my money
- I had a business of my own
- I did not have a wife and family
- I did not fear about what they would say
- I did not have to keep house and look after the children
- I did not have so many worries
- I did not have to work so hard
- I did not have a past
- I could get a job
- I could live my life over again
- I could do what I want
- I could meet the right people
- I could just get started
- I could just get a break
- I could only get out of debt
- I could marry the right person
- I could save some money
- I were only younger
- I were only free
- I were not so fat
- I were sure of myself
- I dared assert myself
- times were better
- other people understood me
- other people didn’t “have it in for me”
- other people didn’t get on my nerves
- other people were not so dumb
- other people would only listen to me
- everybody didn’t oppose me
- conditions around me were only different
- now had a chance
- nothing happens to stop me
- the boss only appreciated me
- my family understood me
- my family were not so extravagant
- lived in a big city
- lived in a different neighbourhood
- my talents were known
- knew how
- luck were not against me
These excuses are so old… This list was compiled 80 years ago. It goes to show that we haven’t evolved that much since then. And let’s not kid ourselves, that list existed way before 80 years ago!
We, as humans, just like to point fingers somewhere else. We don’t like to take responsibility for our own actions or inactions. We make these lame excuses all the time.
“The moment you accept total responsibility for EVERYTHING in your life is the day you claim the power the change ANYTHING in your life.” -Hal Elrod
Next time, you catch yourself saying “if only…”, just stop yourself. Or finish your sentence and realize how shitty of an excuse it is. See how you can turn that around.
Let me give it a shot with my excuses:
1. “If only I had time” => plan better, delegate
2. “If only I had money” => find a job, sell something, learn valuable skills, etc. This is actually an easy one since the possibilities are limitless. Heck, write a Medium story for members, make it half decent, use the proper tags and you’ll make a few bucks right there!
17. “If only I did not fear about what they would say” => Who do you live your life for? Listen to experts on the subject, trust in yourself, screw the rest!
20. “If only I did not have to work so hard” => Then don’t. See the big picture. Does it help your long-term goals? Or getting yourself out of the day-to-day grind to reflect would be better? What about a self-improvement week?
25. “If only I could meet the right people” => Have you even searched how to get in touch with them? If so, did you send them a message? Once? Twice? Sixteen times?
31. “If only I were only younger” => Dude, you’re only 31… (the fact that this is point 31 is a pure coincidence)
40. “If only other people were not so dumb” => I feel guilty for thinking that sometimes. Am I really superior to others? Danny, look yourself in the mirror, you’re just as “dumb”, if not more sometimes!
47. “If only my family understood me” => It’s okay not to be understood by everyone, even your family. Everyone lives different lives. The person who understands that is the bigger person.
51. “If only my talents were known” => Have you even shown them your talents? Keep trying. Plan better, try harder!
Now It’s Your Turn!
What excuses do you make for yourself? Hopefully not that many. If it is many, strongly consider taking time to reflect on yourself.
Do that in your journal, in your mind, or publicly here, it doesn’t matter. But go through that exercise!
You’ll realize how much potential you’re missing on by making all these excuses. Once you take responsibility, you’ll have clarity and regain wasted time by channeling your energy in the right place.
You can do this!
Thanks for reading and sharing! :)
First published here: https://medium.com/swlh/53-excuses-you-need-to-avoid-like-the-plague-a16c919a9eec